[jamming] Rsh to NT

Stephen Dennis stephen.dennis at onyx.ca
Fri Oct 1 09:02:02 PDT 1999

Hello

The problem is that most of  the rshd's for NT run as a service, so they do
not have
the same access to 'desktop' resources as a logged in user and are usually
running
on a different 'WindowStation'.  Same goes for the telnetd's, smbrun and
others.

See the docs on 'CreateWindowStation' for more information about this mess.

My solution was to build an rshd from the publicly available code (I used
BSD 4.4 rshd)
and wired in the appropriate NT process starting stuff, and ran this on the
desktop of a
logged in NT machine.  Ultimately I ended up building a custom client as
well just to
make sure everything was semantically correct.

Thus, jam or make or whatever, has access to all the network connections,
memory,
files and whatever you would have expected.

Ugly, but functional.

Right me for the code for the custom client and server if you would like.

Stephen Dennis