[jamming] Problem with header file scanning and updates

Peter Klotz peter.klotz at aon.at
Mon Feb 10 22:52:52 PST 2003

> My theory is that the problem is caused by "grist."

I agree.

> I see that you are using grist (FGristFiles) in your UicR rule.  If
> you are using SubDir, then FGristFiles will cause each directory in
> your project to have different grist added to the targets.
>
> So your UicR rule will create a target something like <a!b!c>base.hpp.

That is exactly what I meant to do. There could be several
base.ui/derived.cpp/derived.hpp files in different directories.

> So you end up with <a!b!c>base.hpp and base.hpp -- two Jam targets
> that reference the same file.

A bad situation.

> You can check if this is happening by running
>
>     jam -d5 | egrep '(base.hpp|derived.cpp)'
>
> You'll see calls to Depends and Includes that set up the dependency
> tree.  You'll probably find that the base.hpp included by derived.cpp
> has no grist, but the base.hpp generated by your custom rule has
> grist.

Yes, I find the following:
<PROJECTS!Applications!JamTest>base.hpp

> There are three solutions (probably more):
>
> 1) Explicitly set up the dependency in your Jamfile:
>
>     Includes base.hpp : <a!b!c>base.hpp ;
>
>    This second one tricks Jam into thinking base.hpp (the one
>    discovered at header scan time) "includes" <a!b!c>base.hpp (the one
>    generated by your rule), so any file including base.hpp (namely,
>    derived.cpp) will end up depending on <a!b!c>base.hpp.

Sounds very good. Since all my Jamfiles are generated automatically this is
not a problem to do.
It already works in my test case.

> 2) Turn off grist.  Do this by setting the SOURCE_GRIST variable to
>    nothing after every SubDir call.
>
>     SubDir TOP foo ;
>     SOURCE_GRIST = ;
>
>    This assumes that no two directories in your project will ever have
>    files with the same name.

This is impossible, since the project is spread across several directories
(each containing a static library) and I extensively use grist.

> 3) Use FGristSourceFiles in your UicR rule.  Add a modified version of
>    Jambase' FGristSourceFiles rule to your Jamrules.  The modified
>    version will not add grist to .hpp files, just as the stock Jambase
>    version does not add grist to .h files.
>
>    This assumes that your project will never have two .hpp files with
>    the same name in different directories.

I am not able to guarantee that. Different developers tend to produce files
with identical names.

Thank you very much for the detailed explanation.

Best regards, Peter.