[jamming] external program output -> variable

Vladimir Prus ghost at cs.msu.su
Wed May 5 02:03:01 PDT 2004

Igor Bukanov wrote:

> But Jam already knows know to execute actions and extending that code
> with piping should not be that difficult on unix/windows AFAIK.

Sure, not that difficult as to be impossible, but difficult enough so that
nobody implement it yet.

The question that bothers me, for example, is: do you catch stdout, or stdout
and stderr? And if you catch both, you need to make sure the forked process
is not blocked writing to stderr, while jam is blocked reading from stdout.

- Volodya