[jamming] external program output -> variable

Ingo Weinhold bonefish at cs.tu-berlin.de
Wed May 5 02:48:31 PDT 2004

On Wed, 5 May 2004, Vladimir Prus wrote:

> Igor Bukanov wrote:
>
> > But Jam already knows know to execute actions and extending that code
> > with piping should not be that difficult on unix/windows AFAIK.
>
> Sure, not that difficult as to be impossible, but difficult enough so that
> nobody implement it yet.

Well, that's only partially correct. It is quite simple to implement it on
platforms that provide popen(). Unless I deleted it accidentially I should
even have a patch for it lying somewhere on my harddisk.

But there are philosophical reasons, why such a feature won't be accepted
by the maintainer.

> The question that bothers me, for example, is: do you catch stdout, or stdout
> and stderr? And if you catch both, you need to make sure the forked process
> is not blocked writing to stderr, while jam is blocked reading from stdout.

In doubt the user can just redirect stderr.

CU, Ingo