[jamming] Clean Rule: Where is it?

Paul Forgey paulf at metainfo.com
Wed May 5 14:57:44 PDT 2004

It could show up as an empty rule, but since it's empty, it doesn't
need to be there.  The action for it isn't empty; it's $(RM) $(>)

If your question is how the action actually comes into being, you'll
see in Jambase:

NotFile .. clean .. ;

then where things get cleaned:
Clean clean : $(bunch_of_stuff) ;

Which adds the $(bunch_of_stuff) as dependencies of the clean target.
When you jam clean, the Clean action for that target is therefore
invoked.  This is also how 'uninstall' works;

Clean uninstall : $(files_to_remove) ;