[jamming] generated header

Vladimir Prus ghost at cs.msu.su
Wed Nov 17 23:10:55 PST 2004

On Thursday 18 November 2004 07:29, Anuj Goyal wrote:
> I have about 30 dll/exe, for the sake of argument let's call them
> letters of the alphabet
> and one special folder (C) full of xml files
>
> dll A
> exe B
> xmlfiles C
> dll D
> dll E
> dll Y
> dll Z
>

> (btw: dll D depends on A, ddl E depends on D,
>       ddl F depends on D, dll G depends on F, and so on)
>
> exe B needs to link with dll A to run (easy enough i use
> LibraryFromObjects) exe B takes as an argument an XML file in folder C
> (already containing a jamfile)
>  and produces a header ERROR.h, that all other DLLs need to use.
>
> I have no trouble producing the header file through a builtin rule.
>
> The problem I have is making the header I have a produced a
> dependency of all the sources files in the rest of the projects.
>
> Can anyone provide some design hints?

Hi,
is the header file included by C++ files in those DLLs?

I haven't found the way to do it using basic jam, so eventually implemented
special support in boost.jam.

Some notes on that can be found at:

   http://boost.org/boost-build2/doc/html/bbv2/arch/targets.html#id2541806

I'm not sure how would that help with classic jam, though.

- Volodya