[jamming] yet another newbie

Paul Forgey paulf at metainfo.com
Thu Apr 7 17:27:01 PDT 2005

What the grist is depends on where you are relative to the directory
the files in question are.  That's why what you did worked in Parser.d
but not in $(TOP).  It isn't something you manually do like that.  See
Jambase's FGrist rules.

Library libparser : paux.C [ FGristFiles lex.yy.c y.tab.c ] ;

and removing your manual gristing should do it.

I will point out again you are kind of looking at this backwards.  In
make we are used to specifying the dependencies like how you are doing
it one level at a time.  Jam is really nice in contrast because it uses
rules to fill in all the intermediate dependencies.  The generated code
from tools like yacc and lex are treated as intermediate object files
that you never have to bother with.  And that is also the reason that
your Jamfile has to kludge around like this with the gristing.
Gristing is something your everyday Jamfiles should never have to
bother with.

Is there any particular reason you are not letting the stock Jamrules
build the library from lexer.l and p.y as source files?