[jamming] Link actions too long (max 996)!

Gary Gendel gary at icmanage.com
Fri Jun 2 04:28:17 PDT 2006

Klaus,

It depends what version of Windows you build jam under.  Under NT 4
there was a 1k character limit.  Under 2000, I believe the limit is 4k,
and under XP, the limit is 8k.  The -D_CRT_SECURE_NO_DEPRECATE=1 just
turns off the gazillion warnings from VS 2005 because those bozos at
Microsoft decided to deprecate lots of standard C functions (like
strcmp) because they want you to use "safe" alternatives.  Of course
ported software will be chock full of these.

Here are the changes I did to get Jam version 2.5 to compile reasonably
for Visual Studio 2005 builds on XP.

I also have a Jamrules file that puts in all the right compiler and link
switches for my projects.  The easiest thing to do is to take them from
the VS IDE for an existing project.

Good Luck,
Gary