[jamming] Can i use jam without perforce

Jon Mayo jon.mayo at gmail.com
Thu Jun 15 11:51:56 PDT 2006

On 6/15/06, shobharanim at zentechnologies.com
<shobharanim at zentechnologies.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>  I need some information regarding jam. Can i use jam without Perforce
> software. Can i use it individually without using any configuration
> management tool for build management.
>
> Can you help me.
>
> Regards,
> Sobha.

I haven't used perforce in over 3 years (it's a great product, I just
don't use it). I use Jam all the time though. It's a lot easier to use
than Make, since any time you want to do something exotic you look at
the Jambase to see how similar functionality was done. I hate reading
documentation. :)

a few projects have thier own versions of jam going. like ftjam
(FreeType project), bjam (Boost project), and XCode jam (MacOS X's
IDE). none of those depend on p4 either.

if you want to track the source for jam, having the perforce client
(free) is not a bad idea. although you can easily download all the
files off the webpage too.

- Jon