[jamming] [WARNING : A/V UNSCANNABLE] Re: KJam Beta 0.31 Released with performance comparison.

Kai Backman kaib at google.com
Wed Jun 21 15:12:16 PDT 2006

 Hi Rafael,

 Thanks for sharing the numbers with the list. As probably a lot of other
people,
I'm quite interested in the development of KJam and I do have some specific
questions:

- It looks very much like your licensing will be proprietary. I'm fine with
that,
except it does limit the applicability of KJam quite a bit. OpenOffice.org,
the main project I'm working on at the moment, is open source and can thus
not realistically use KJam. Many of the features you have included look
interesting and it would be a pity to have to clone them for the more
openly licensed version. In any case, it will make things a lot clearer
once you decide what the long term licensing policy will be. :-)

- The test cases you have are quite small. OpenOffice.org consists of 23 000
cxx and hxx files and probably over 100k targets in total. As Jam seems
to be a last resort for people who have run out of other options, it might
make
sense to make your test cases slightly larger. The preview limit of 250
targets is simply not enough to exercise the type of functionality I can
imagine many would be interested in. I've included a simple test data
generator I've used myself, it would be great if you could provide
some benchmarks against the default setting (30k source files, 60k targets).

- Platform support seems also a bit lacking at the moment. Without source
it's also quite difficult to tell how hard a port would be. OO.o currently
builds
on Win32, Linux (intel/sparc), Solaris (intel/sparc), Mac OS X (PPC/intel),
FreeBSD and quite a few I'm forgetting. Do you have plans for supporting
these platforms and a backup plan in case an user wants to build on a
non-supported platform?

- What does "It has per target viewpathing. " mean?

 Let me know if the tgz archive is lost and I'll email it to you directly.
Thanks again
for sharing the data.

 Take care and stay in touch,

 Kai