[jamming] KJam Beta 0.31 Released with performance comparison.

rafael baptista rafael at oroboro.com
Wed Jun 21 15:38:43 PDT 2006

Kai,

    I'm getting a great deal positive interest in KJam from a technical
perspective. The only negative reaction I'm getting from people is the
lack of clarity about licensing. I'm looking onto
the licensing issues, but I want to make sure I don't make a mistake and
limit the licensing options later. I'd like to find a way to give a KJam
'free' license for use with 'free' software, and
still be able to offer KJam commercially.

    I will run larger test cases and report on those. Thank you for the
test data generator.

    KJam is highly portable - especially to any reasonably POSIX system.
All the OS specific code is segregated into a small set of files. The
most complex porting task would be
in the process and thread management code ( the code which issues build
commands, and implements the built-in shell ).

    "Per target viewpathing" is a bunch of jargony buzzwords that appeal
to people who talk about build systems. Basically it means that there is
a clear separation in the KJam ( and Jam ) language between the name of
a target and the location of the file it refers to. A 'viewpath' is the
abstraction used to find a resource in a file system. Per target means
we can set such an abstraction per target. For what its worth the
viewpathing in KJam is somewhat more flexible than what is available in Jam.

-Rafael