[jamming] How to retrieve parent directory

Andic, Svetozar Svetozar.Andic at NBNZ.CO.NZ
Wed Jun 21 17:14:07 PDT 2006

Obvious one is ..

Or $(SUBDIR:D)
Or $(SEARCH_SOURCE:D) but these won't work as you expect if the TOP (or
whatever your starting point) variable is not set. If the TOP is not set,
than all you can see in $(SUBDIR) and $(SEARCH_SOURCE) is the portion of the
directory name following the TOP.

For example if your Jamfile starts with:

SubDir TOP first_dir second_dir ;

The $(SUBDIR) and $(SEARCH_SOURCE) will both give

first_dir/second_dir

I am not sure what you are trying to do but you can't go wrong if you use
relative paths in your rules.

Sveta