[jamming] Building Objects - Need to reference with grist whenusing them in another jam file?

Craig Allsop cjamallsop at gmail.com
Fri Dec 19 04:15:55 PST 2008

Hi again..

On Fri, Dec 19, 2008 at 6:43 PM, Morgenthaler Björn
<bjoern.morgenthaler at comlet.de> wrote:
>> If you don't want to use gristed objects, just set source grist to nothing everywhere automatically by adding a rule to SUBDIRRULES list.
>>
>> rule ResetGrist
>> {
>>   SOURCE_GRIST = ;
>> }
>>
>> SUBDIRRULES += ResetGrist ;
>>
>> But, I'm not sure if boost jam has this feature. Put an echo in the rule to make sure its being called.
>
> Seems not to have this feature, so I would need to reset the source grist in rule SubDir. No problem for me, but I start to wonder, what are the benefits of bjam...

The above feature was quite new (2.5?) where you can add custom rules
to subdir without replacing it, as well as some bug fixes. Whilst bjam
has had some mods applied, last time I looked at bjam it was behind
and didn't some of the bug fixes so I came to favour the stock
version. Use whatever works for you I suppose. bjam's strength is that
it comes with a very complete set of rules for building portable
projects. But you seem to be using the stock rules not the boost
rules, that's why I said it.

Nothing wrong with the stock version if you have a small/medium
project to build. A larger project will probably just need a few mods
added, depending on how you stress it.

There is also jamplus which has whole bunch of mods that Joshua & Alen
have put together with a number of interesting features.

Craig.