[jamming] Included rules

Gary Gendel gary at icmanage.com
Mon Feb 4 18:43:39 PST 2008

Hi,

We've got a hierarchy of products that have a mix of different
capabilities.  Each can use a different collection of libraries like QT,
boost, MySQL, Perforce, etc.  Currently we have a monolithic Jamrules
file that builds the compile and link using all libraries.  This has
causes us problems, especially when some libraries have subtle conflicts.

What I was hoping to do was create a simple Jamrules file that defines
the generic macros (static vs. dynamic linking, release vs. debug, some
basic processing macros, etc.).  Then I would like to create Jamrule
files specific for each component (QT, boost, etc.) that can be
"included" in the Jamfiles as needed.

I don't see any mechanism for "including" files in the jam language.
The closest thing I can see is the SubInclude statement, but this
doesn't seem to operate as expected.  What I would like to do is
something like this:

SubDir TOP proggy ;
Include $(TOP)/Rules.jam/mysql/mysql.jam ;
Include $(TOP)/Rules.jam/boost/regexp.jam ;

etc. to include "inline" the files specified.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks.
Gary