[jamming] Included rules

Craig Allsop cjamallsop at gmail.com
Mon Feb 4 19:40:10 PST 2008

On Feb 5, 2008 12:43 PM, Gary Gendel <gary at icmanage.com> wrote:
> What I was hoping to do was create a simple Jamrules file that defines
> the generic macros (static vs. dynamic linking, release vs. debug, some
> basic processing macros, etc.).  Then I would like to create Jamrule
> files specific for each component (QT, boost, etc.) that can be
> "included" in the Jamfiles as needed.
>
> I don't see any mechanism for "including" files in the jam language.
> The closest thing I can see is the SubInclude statement, but this
> doesn't seem to operate as expected.  What I would like to do is
> something like this:
>
> SubDir TOP proggy ;
> Include $(TOP)/Rules.jam/mysql/mysql.jam ;
> Include $(TOP)/Rules.jam/boost/regexp.jam ;

The word Include should be lowercase, i.e.

include thefile ;

We use a monolithic jamrules with no major problems. Sure there are
differences in each 3rd party library but such subtle differences is
not what I'd justify as needing different jam rules per library. At
worst we use different link/compile actions per platform only because
the tools are different. Perhaps you can explain by way of an example?

Craig.