Fw: [p4perl] sync problems

Roger Day roger.day at globalgraphics.com
Tue Mar 15 06:25:34 PST 2005

I agree - but there is no output that I can see.

I think there's a real problem here but I can't put my finger on it. Let me
explain.

If I do a bog standard piece of code like this:

my @jj=();

for my $i (@jj)
{
  print $i."\n";
}

The loop doesn't get activated. Which is what I expect.

However, when I step through the debugger for the below code, the loop is
activated. I do x $w and it claims $w is a reference to an array. If I do x
@warnings, it claims an empty array, with $#warnings set to -1.

So, there is an array there, probably full of the information we seek, but
I can't "see" it. This, I think, is the core of the matter. If I could see
that "hidden" array, then I'd be happy camper.

    my @warnings = $self->Warnings();
    if (@warnings)
    {
      print "warnings:\n ";
      print $#warnings."\n";
      for my $w (@warnings)
      {
        print "warning: $w\n";
      }
    }
    else
    {
      print "warnings not defined\n";
    }

                      Tony Smith
                      <tony at smee.org>          To:       p4perl at perforce.com
                                               cc:       "Roger Day" <roger.day at globalgraphics.com>
                      15/03/2005 12:45         Subject:  Re: Fw: [p4perl] sync problems

On Tuesday 15 March 2005 00:28, Roger Day wrote:
> you are correct. You think you know a language, then it still manages to
> bite u in the foot. Doh!

:) That's Perl for you. Personally, I prefer Ruby these days - it doesn't
bite!

> Doesn't help me with my main problem in that the files still aren't being
> transferred to the new root.

No, but it should help you get to the error messages and/or warnings. We
really need to see the complete output of the command to diagnose the
problem.