[p4perl] Fwd: 8 hrs invested, 1 unresolved external symbol to go...

Tony Smith tony at smee.org
Wed Jul 25 02:00:57 PDT 2007

On Tuesday 24 July 2007 17:16, Dan Lindy wrote:
> I found this:
>
> http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=327790&SiteID=1
>
> LNK2001s/LNK2019s are usually a result of mixing debug libs with release
> libs (or libs compiled with another version of Visual Studio). It can also
> be caused by static libraries not using the same runtime library (project
> properties -> c/c++ -> code generation -> runtime library -> should be /MDd
> for debug and /MD for release).
>
> Seems it may not be possible to use VS 2005 unless Perforce provide a
> compatible set of libs.

OK, I've reproduced this, and I can't get P4Perl to build with ActivePerl
5.8.8 and VS 2005 either. Using the Perforce API at:

http://filehost.perforce.com/perforce/r06.2/bin.ntx86/dyn/p4api.tar

resolves the build errors, but then you hit runtime loading errors which, I
think, have to do with incompatibilities between the version of Visual Studio
used to compile Perl and the version used for P4Perl. Microsoft's C Runtime
problems basically.

Do you need to build it yourself Dan, or can you just use the pre-built
installer? The precompiled installer for the development build is compatible
with ActivePerl 5.8.8 (it's compiled with Visual Studio 2003). If you want to
compile it yourself, I suspect you'll need to use VS 2003.