[p4perl] Fwd: 8 hrs invested, 1 unresolved external symbol to go...

Dan Lindy dan.lindy at gmail.com
Wed Jul 25 05:41:57 PDT 2007

Hi Tony,

Thanks for the follow-up. I was actually unaware that the Windows installer
included a pre-built version of the binary. I was under the impression, from
the documentation, that the binary had to be built locally. Now that I look
at the page again it seems obvious, but it wasn't when I was reading through
your instructions as there is no mention of using the bre-built binary in
step #2.

Because of the plethora of version compatibility issues, I am uneasy at this
point about using an API which may break during a future upgrade, so I am
electing to go with basic scripting (using system calls to p4 commands).
This is less than ideal, as I am interested in listening to audit events,
but seems a simpler and more stable approach, at least for now.

If I had lots of time on my hands to get the API working and play around
with it, I'd likely go that route. For now, I'm out of time and need to move
on.

Thanks for your help, though. P4Perl looks like a worthwhile project and I
hope to get a chance to use it in the future.

Best,
Dan