[p4perl] P4Perl help (make test => some tests fail)

Tony Smith tony at smee.org
Tue Nov 15 07:23:19 PST 2011

Hi Billy,

On 10/11/2011 22:50, Billy Suh wrote:
> I happen to be using a two-person version of an old p4/p4d on linux
> (P4D/LINUX22X86/2004.2/69887 (2004/10/14)) as part of my
> proof-of-concept,! because I do not want to run the tests against the
> production p4d server.(Would it be safe to run the tests against the
> production server to see if the tests pass?)

Tests and production servers definitely do not mix!

However, the fact you're using a 2004.2 server is probably what's
choking the tests. The tests are carried out in a server started in a
subdirectory of the p4perl build environment; all they need is a 'p4d'
in the PATH. If you ensure that the p4d binary in the PATH is a 2011.1
(or 2010.2) server, do the tests pass then?

For example:

$ mkdir p4tmp
$ cd p4tmp
$ wget http://www.perforce.com/downloads/perforce/r11.1/bin.linux26x86/p4d
$ chmod 755 p4d
$ export PATH=`pwd`:$PATH

Then go to your p4perl build directory and run 'make test'. If it all
works, you can remove the p4tmp directory.