[p4python] Authentication problems

Daryl Spitzer daryl.spitzer at gmail.com
Tue Jul 22 13:48:46 PDT 2008

I'm trying to get some scripts that use P4Python working with a new
Perforce server that uses ticket-based authentication.

I looked at the example on page 71 of the "Perforce 2007.3 APIs for
Scripting" document and tried running the following:

from p4 import P4, P4Error
P4PORT = '[REDACTED]:1666'
P4USER = '[REDACTED]'
P4PASSWD = '[REDACTED]'
P4CLIENT = '[REDACTED]'
p4 = P4()
p4.port = P4PORT
p4.user = P4USER
p4.password = P4PASSWD
p4.client = P4CLIENT
p4.connect()
p4.run_login(P4PASSWD)
print p4.run_opened()

...and get:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "p4python_www_test.py", line 14, in <module>
    p4.run_login(P4PASSWD)
  File "/tools/python/2.5.1/linux64/lib/python2.5/site-packages/p4.py",
line 190, in run
    raise P4Error(string.join(self.errors, "\n"))
p4.P4Error: Perforce password (P4PASSWD) invalid or unset.

Then I saw the version on page 81, and tried not passing an argument
to run_login(), and got:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "p4python_www_test.py", line 14, in <module>
    p4.run_login()
  File "/tools/python/2.5.1/linux64/lib/python2.5/site-packages/p4.py",
line 190, in run
    raise P4Error(string.join(self.errors, "\n"))
p4.P4Error: No input provided and API wanted it
Password invalid.
'p4auth' validation failed: p4auth.pl: Reading password for [REDACTED]
from standard input
p4auth.pl: Binding to LDAP server [REDACTED] as [REDACTED]
p4auth.pl: Searching for [REDACTED]
Authentication failed for [REDACTED]:
The server requires the client which had attempted to bind anonymously or
without supplying credentials to provide some form of credentials

----

I want to make my script work independently of any environment variables.

Neither variant of run_login() seems to work.  It may be telling that
error from my second attempt says "Reading password...from standard
input".

Am I doing something wrong?  Or is this a mistake in the documentation?

--
Daryl Spitzer