[p4python] p4python for python 2.5 and windows vista x64

Sven Erik Knop sknop at perforce.com
Mon Jun 23 02:22:49 PDT 2008

Hi Yuta,

The main problem you will encounter is that Python on Windows has been
compiled with VS2003, not VS2005. This will prevent you from compiling
P4Python 2007.3 successfully from compiling with the VS2005 or VS2008
compiler. For this reason, there is no option in the setup.py that
detects your 64 bit environment on Windows.

We have not tested 64 bit on Windows yet for P4Python, but the P4Python
code itself is 64 bit clean and has been built successfully on 64 bit
Solaris and Linux. I will try to test VS2003 on a 64 bit machine to see
if I can get this combination to run.

If you cannot get hold of a VS2003 compiler, you will need to recompile
Python itself on VS2005 or VS2008 to create the correct binary. You
might have to re-configure quite a bit of the setup files for this, and
your mileage may vary.

Cheers

Sven Erik