[p4python] p4python: changes between dates does not give expected result

Sven Erik Knop sknop at perforce.com
Fri Sep 17 06:03:09 PDT 2010

  Hi Kostas,

if you want to receive the exact same output in P4Python that you get
from P4, you need to disable the tagged output.

Tagged mode is used by default in P4Python. In tagged mode, the
information you receive from the server is pre-parsed and you will, as
you discovered, receive an array of dictionaries, with each dictionary
containing the values for a change.
The date returned is second after epoch, that is 1/1/1970 00:00:00. In
Python you can convert this to a proper date with the following command:

import datetime

for desc in p4.run_changes( ... ):
     date = datetime.utcfromtimestamp( int( desc[ "time" ] ) )

Alternatively, you can switch tagged mode off:

p4.tagged = False
result = p4.run_changes( ... ) # result is now an array of strings
identical to the strings shown from P4

For tagged mode, you can leave '-t' out of the parameter list, by the
way, it has no effect (but doesn't harm either).

By the way, to see tagged mode in action in P4, use the switch -Ztag:

p4 -Ztag changes -s submitted -u user ... at date1, at date2

Let me know if you need any additional information.

Kind regards

Sven Erik