[p4ruby] Need advice re perforce - to - callcenter software connector

Jeff A. Bowles jab at pobox.com
Sat Dec 15 10:36:03 PST 2007

I would use p4ruby as a scripting tool, and have a very high confidence in
it.
Why?  Partly because Ruby is terrific as a scripting language, and partly
because the P4Ruby integration is ... well, jeepers, it's swell.

After that, THEN I would investigate whether I wanted to graft together the
bug-software and the Perforce "jobs" mechanisms using P4Ruby
scripts/triggers,
with the Java or C++ API, etc.

I would not be surprised if you decided, after looking at P4Ruby, that
keeping
the connecting-pieces in P4Ruby would be easy to maintain, support, and
implement.

And also (more than a little) fun. Honest.

  -Jeff Bowles

On Dec 15, 2007 8:36 AM, <dev1 at nellconsulting.com> wrote:

> We have call center software/bug tracking software that we developed in
> house.  We adopted perforce about 3 years ago and all is well, except that
> we have avoided making the integration between perforce and the call center
> software.
>
> We are mostly a java shop and are not c/c++ guru's.  I did look for a
> perforce java api and I see some stuff out there, but it seems they are
> doing parsing of the p4client result text which I don't find reassuring, and
> I don't have a lot of hope that these libraries will be maintained over the
> long haul.  I noticed that p4ruby has been around for a while and seems to
> have active level of bug fixing, and appears to be backended with the c/c++
> api.
>
> So here I am.. Wondering if it makes sense to spend time writing a
> 'connector' using p4ruby, that would run all the time, periodically poll
> perforce and poll our call center software and keep the two in sync. ( i.e.
> create jobs in perforce when a call center issue is certified as a bug,
> etc.. ).   Maybe the answer is an obvious yes -- but I have been seeing
> references to p4ruby describing it as a scripting tool.
>
> Any thoughts or maybe pointers to a better approach?
>
> Thanks,
> Steve Nell

---
Jeff Bowles - jeff.a.bowles at gmail.com