[p4ruby] cygwin-p4ruby incompatibility with p4win

bob p4 jeffperforce at gmail.com
Tue Feb 19 07:38:53 PST 2008

On Feb 19, 2008 5:48 AM, Tony Smith <tony at smee.org> wrote:

> > Thus it would seem that cygwin-P4Ruby cannot be used with a
> > P4Win-compatible client spec.  Is this true?
>
> No, you can use an 'alternate root' in your client workspace
> specification.
> See the documentation for 'AltRoots' in:
>
>  http://www.perforce.com/perforce/doc.073/manuals/cmdref/client.html
>
> Specify your windows path as your main root, and the Cygwin equivalent as
> an
> AltRoot.

Aha, I've been using perforce over a year yet somehow never noticed the
AltRoots field.  Thanks.

Incidentally, is there a particular reason P4Ruby makes idiosyncratic use of
the '?' suffix for method names?  The question mark is intended for boolean
queries only.  I suppose you are asserting your own style in using it for
non-boolean queries, but for the general ruby user it is a source of
confusion.

That was my only criticism :)  Thanks for P4Ruby.

--Jeff