[p4ruby] cygwin-p4ruby incompatibility with p4win

Tony Smith tony at smee.org
Tue Feb 19 12:42:19 PST 2008

bob p4 wrote:

> On Feb 19, 2008 5:48 AM, Tony Smith <tony at smee.org
> <mailto:tony at smee.org>> wrote:
>
>     > Thus it would seem that cygwin-P4Ruby cannot be used with a
>     > P4Win-compatible client spec.  Is this true?
>
>     No, you can use an 'alternate root' in your client workspace
>     specification.
>     See the documentation for 'AltRoots' in:
>
>      http://www.perforce.com/perforce/doc.073/manuals/cmdref/client.html
>
>     Specify your windows path as your main root, and the Cygwin
>     equivalent as an
>     AltRoot.
>

> Aha, I've been using perforce over a year yet somehow never noticed
> the AltRoots field.  Thanks.
No problem - glad I could help.
> Incidentally, is there a particular reason P4Ruby makes idiosyncratic
> use of the '?' suffix for method names?  The question mark is intended
> for boolean queries only.  I suppose you are asserting your own style
> in using it for non-boolean queries, but for the general ruby user it
> is a source of confusion.
I think the only honest answer here is that it's the result of ignorance
- mine. At the time, I hadn't fully realised the conventional use of the
'?' :-(

> That was my only criticism :)  Thanks for P4Ruby.

You're welcome, and I have some good news for you: the very shiny, and
fully supported (by Perforce Software) version of P4Ruby  (source and
Windows installer on ftp://ftp.perforce.com/perforce/r07.3) corrects my
mistake and the '?' is only used on methods that return a boolean (such
as the new P4#connected? method). Basically, we used the opportunity
that adopting P4Ruby presented to tidy up a little.

Full details of the changes are in the release notes:

http://www.perforce.com/perforce/doc.073/user/p4rubynotes.txt

Tony