[p4ruby] fix for symlink-in-PWD problem

Tony Smith tony at smee.org
Mon Mar 10 07:31:34 PDT 2008

Let's try that again, a wrong keypress sent the last response too soon.

On Friday 07 March 2008 19:36:49 bob p4 wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 7, 2008 at 8:46 AM, Tony Smith <tony at smee.org> wrote:
> >  Most of the time that's what's wanted. When it isn't, deleting PWD from
> > the environment usually solves the problem.

<snip>

> Do we have a philosophical disagreement?  I want to fix this problem
> for Joe Programmer once and for all.  Would you rather have Joe
> Programmer to run into the problem, become annoyed and spend time
> googling, after which he may POSSIBLY find the magic solution of
> ENV.delete("PWD")?  Joe Programmer includes me.  I want to help my
> future self.  Do you?

I don't think this is a problem that can be solved once, for everyone; if it
was, I'd have done so long ago.

As I said in my previous response, most of the time people _don't_ want
symlinks expanded (and would complain if we did).

> The above fix also has the advantage of not polluting ENV with a
> deleted PWD, which may be used by some other component.

I'm not a fan of the fix as it's been coded, but I'll take another look at the
problem and see if any better solutions come to light.

Tony