PVCS to Perforce

JeffBowlesjab at uplanet.com JeffBowlesjab at uplanet.com
Tue Jun 24 12:54:00 PDT 1997

At 11:41 AM 6/24/97 -0700, you wrote:
>Any chance you've also contracted with someone to do a MS SourceSafe to
>Perforce conversion?  This is one of the lingering concerns with our
>management before we decide to try to switch.

	I call that system "SourceUNSafe" because it loses data,
	it's slow, and it's hell to get files back from it. It's
	like the ultimate compaction algorithm, that compresses
	everything to the constant '1': there's no uncompress
	algorithm, but higher-level managers don't really care
	because they never use it.

	If you're willing to do so, I'll just pick certain key
	moments in time that you've labeled in SourceUNSafe and
	check those in - assuming S-UN-S will give you back those
	labels. Getting individual versions of the files, and histories,
	checked in will be most unpleasant.

	-jab, who dealt with S-UN-S at Oracle and is glad to be out
	of there.