Perforce vs StarTeam

ScottBlachowiczsab at seanet.com ScottBlachowiczsab at seanet.com
Tue Apr 14 13:40:33 PDT 1998

On Tue, Apr 14, 1998 at 02:45:07PM -0500, chris.bartz at natinst.com wrote:
> Has anyone done a comparison of Perforce and StarTeam.

I, too, would be interested in a comparison.  A little while ago, I was
looking at a few different systems to replace this MS SourceSafe stuff and was
fiddling with Perforce a bit (probably more when I get around to it).  I found
StarTeam a little later and it took a while to figure out how to do some basic
stuff in their GUI.  (the terminology is a little different or something...I
hadn't read their docs at the time)  At any rate, I did enough to figure out
that getting the latest version of one directory tree over my 28.8K modem took
about 50 minutes with SS and about half that with either Perforce or StarTeam.

What I thought looked interesting is StarTeam's mentions of being able to deal
with a Source"Safe" repository - it looked like it might be easier to do the
initial migration from SS to a new system.  But, I never got around to
checking that out.

I would appreciate hearing whatever anyone has to say about the 2 systems.
- --
Scott Blachowicz
sab at seanet.com