RCS archives compatibility

MarkMcIntoshMark_McIntosh at pml.com MarkMcIntoshMark_McIntosh at pml.com
Fri Apr 17 15:51:07 PDT 1998

We moved to Perforce without importing all of our RCS archives into it.
We considered that to be not worth the time required (didn't even try to
do it). We don't need all the historical revisions in Perforce - it will
always be there in our (read only) RCS archives. This is the advice we
received from Continuus when we were evaluating them. I think that it
makes sense for large pieces of software, especially when you have used
unpredictable branching in the RCS archives.

What we did:
- - pick important snapshots of source from different releases, e.g.
production releases, last releases to Test, latest work
- - make sure releases that we want to support in future are represented
in that list
- - lay out all the source code on disk in different directories
- - begin to create the production release and other release branches in
Perforce
- - finally layout the mainline working branch with the most recent work
(we used just the latest revision)
- - we established a branch relationship between the mainline working
branch and the production releases and told Perforce that they were
up-to-date as far as integrates are concerned ("p4 resolve -ay")
- - we made the first revision on the mainline working branch contain the
RCS "rlog" output for that file, not the real file; so someone in
Perforce can print the revision #1 of any file and, if it existed in
RCS, view the RCS revision history without returning to using "rlog"

Mark_McIntosh at pml.com              R&D Software Development Support
Power Measurement Ltd.             Voice: 250-652-7100, ext. 7571
2195 Keating Cross Rd.               FAX: 250-652-0411
Saanichton, BC, V8M 2A5, Canada           http://www.pml.com/