Anyone like us got comments on Perforce?

RobertD.Sealsrseals at fore.com RobertD.Sealsrseals at fore.com
Thu Apr 23 08:17:36 PDT 1998

At 02:42 PM 4/23/98 GMT, you wrote:
>company with multiple development sites around the world (ie vastly different
>time zones). These sites collaborate on many different projects and products.

Well, if they are connected at a reasonable speed, then p4 might work.
The problem is that p4 doesn't really support distributed depots; you can
reference an arbitrary number of depots, but only 1 of them can be
read-write, the rest all read-only. Again, this may be adequate, or
or it might not. If the sites are not well connected, then probably the
only real solution is to use several depots, and this is fairly hard
to manage, i.e., perforce doesn't do it, you have to.

So, if you can all use a single depot on 1 server, you're good with p4.
If the sites are connected (even slowly) and can live with read-only remote
depots, you're good with p4.
Otherwise, my perception is that p4 might not be ideal, and if anyone
knows better, let me know!

Robert