Re(2): Last-modified timestamp

chris.bartz at natinst.comchris.bartz chris.bartz at natinst.comchris.bartz
Fri Apr 17 11:41:21 PDT 1998

The "modtime" option gives you the timestamp of when the file was submitted.  The
procedure I listed is the make Perforce think that I submitted the file at some
date/time that is different from when I really did it.  I want to do this to preserve
the timestamps on all the history I have from our current SCM system.

I think that the "p4 change -f" command to change the date/time is an acceptable way
to get this.  Unfortunately, there is a bug and that is why I have to do all the rest
of the patching.  I assume Perforce will fix this problem at some point and then you
could skip checkpointing, patching, and recovering.  I think the problem should be
easy to fix since it only took me 30 minutes to figure out how to patch up their
database but I only reported it yesterday so I'd give them a little time to handle
it.

The format of the checkpoint file is not documented and I assume it is not
guaranteed, except maybe it is guaranteed to change :)

I would be very nervous about doing this sort of thing if it was something I was
going to have to maintain.  However, it is a one time hit to get all my history the
way I want it into Perforce so I am willing to do it.

- -Chris Bartz

nickp at aperture.com (Nick Pisarro) on 04/17/98 07:46:02 AM