RCS archives compatibility

PhilWilsonphil at autologue.com PhilWilsonphil at autologue.com
Fri Apr 17 15:37:05 PDT 1998

I am  in the process of doing this, but it SURE isn't painless...Using the
rcstoperf script helps, but there are some problems.

	1. Every change to every file is considered a single changelist.
	2. Files MUST not be in a RCS/ subdirectory.
	3. Branches are not handled at all. You end up only with the head revision.
	4. Files beginning with '.' are not handled.
	5. Files that aren't under RCS control get stored into the repository, but
you cannot retrieve them through perforce. This is because it COPIES the
source directory to the perforce depot.
	6. The default changelist starts at 1. If you are uploading incrementally,
you must remember to do:
		p4 counters
		rcstoperf -next <counters+1> ...

All in all, this shouldn't stop you (it hasn't for us), but making rcstoperf
work right will take a lot of work up front.