Anyone like us got comments on Perforce?

WesPeterssoftweyr at xmission.com WesPeterssoftweyr at xmission.com
Sat Apr 25 09:06:08 PDT 1998

Robert D. Seals wrote:

> At 02:42 PM 4/23/98 GMT, you wrote:
> >company with multiple development sites around the world (ie vastly different
> >time zones). These sites collaborate on many different projects and products.
>
> Well, if they are connected at a reasonable speed, then p4 might work.
> The problem is that p4 doesn't really support distributed depots; you can
> reference an arbitrary number of depots, but only 1 of them can be
> read-write, the rest all read-only. Again, this may be adequate, or
> or it might not. If the sites are not well connected, then probably the
> only real solution is to use several depots, and this is fairly hard
> to manage, i.e., perforce doesn't do it, you have to.
>
> So, if you can all use a single depot on 1 server, you're good with p4.
> If the sites are connected (even slowly) and can live with read-only remote
> depots, you're good with p4.
> Otherwise, my perception is that p4 might not be ideal, and if anyone
> knows better, let me know!

Having attempted to use several other SCM systems over dial-up lines, I
appreciate the speed of P4 compared to, for instance, CVS pserver.  The
atomic commits are also pretty important on somewhat unreliable lines.

As Robert pointed out, Perforce only really works with a central server,
and you'll need reasonable connectivity between the remote offices and
that central server.  The definition of 'reasonable' is going to vary
depending on your expectations of speed.  For a single remote user, a
33.6 or 56K modem dial-up, or perhaps a dial-up ISP account and VPN into
your network, is entirely adequate, and might even suffice for a small
group of 2 - 4 engineers.  The next step up, ISDN BRI or ADSL, would
probably support 10 to 12 users.

If you really need distributed source code stores, another solution may
be best for you.

- --

http://www.softweyr.com/~softweyr                      wes at softweyr.com