[p4] Sharing client spec between users

Robert Cowham robert at vaccaperna.co.uk
Tue Dec 4 03:38:27 PST 2001

Just to clarify terminology, do you mean have two client workspaces with the
same specification (i.e. view mapping) or the same client workspace? (There
is room for confusion in the use of the word specification as in client
workspace spec, branch spec, label spec etc, and I like to define the term
client workspace as an entity which includes its specification *and* actual
state).

In any case, I assume you mean the latter so that they are both working
within the same client workspace.

The main problem they will hit is that they can tread on each other's toes
and Perforce won't be able to help them. For example, the classic is that
one does a "p4 edit" to open a file for editing, and both start editing the
file at the same time - without some form of editor locking one person risks
losing their changes.... If they were in different client workspaces then
Perforce would detect this.

The other thing is that they will have the ground changed underneath their
feet by the other doing something like a "p4 sync".

So, you are not allowing Perforce (or any other tool) to do what it does
best... So, while it *can* be done, it is definitely not to be recommended!

I would say however, that if you treat the client workspace as "read-only"
and never make changes in it, e.g. for common build purposes that this can
work (especially in the case where there are a lot of files in the
workspace)... Requires a bit of developer discipline.

Robert