[p4] Sharing client spec between users

steve at vance.com steve at vance.com
Tue Dec 4 08:41:10 PST 2001

The first question has to be "Why?"  If there isn't a
compelling reason or sufficient constraints to address the
negatives, don't do it.

That said, it can be done.  You will have the issues of
both users editing the same file.  You will also have the
interesting effect that the two users will have different
default changelists, even in the same workspace.

If part of the motivation is to avoid a single user having
to switch identities or clients, you can use the P4CONFIG
mechanism to simplify the process.

Your later mention about using +l won't do anything for
you.  It only affects locking at the depot level, not at
the host OS level.  I won't prevent mutual editing of the
file.

Basically, if the usage is read-only or if the two users'
usage is exclusive either by time (using changelist
creation/submission as the transaction boundaries) or by
source (i.e. they use entirely different directories) and
you're not concerned about cross-contamination due to
syncs, you can do it safely.

If you want a safer approach to the source exclusive
scenario, put two clients, each for a subset of the source,
under a directory tree that reflects the whole space.  A
safer approach to time exclusivity is just to create
different workspaces.  If it's about disk space, just use
separate clients.

Steve

> Hi,
>
> supposing two different users are working on the same
machine, can they
> share a common client specification? If possible, are
there any problems to
> be aware of?
>
> // Johan
user