[p4] Sharing client spec between users

Stephen Vance steve at vance.com
Tue Dec 4 19:04:20 PST 2001

Sounds like a good reason to me.  I just always like to make sure that
people are optimizing by the correct parameters.  I've seen lots of very
good people get irrationally focused on the wrong thing because they've
been looking at it too long or from the wrong angle.

Examples:
o   How to save 3MB of disk space when they have 50GB free.
o   How to speed up a simple input verification algorithm before it's even
been tested in a real UI.
o   How to ship a package overnight when the recipient won't be in the
office for the next three days.

At 10:11 AM 12/4/2001 -0800, Priamos Georgiades wrote:
>We do have such a setup in our team, but we use it for users who need
>"Read-Only" access to the database. [The host machine is attached to
>expensive game development hardware that we can't afford to have deployed
>one per client. Thus, our users make it part of their routine to sync at
>this client after submitting from their own machines and verify that
>everything works on the target hardware.]
>
>Priamos Georgiades
>LucasArts Entertainment Company

Stephen Vance
mailto:steve at vance.com