[p4] Sharing client spec between users

Jeff A. Bowles jab at piccoloeng.com
Wed Dec 5 07:49:55 PST 2001

At 09:49 AM 12/5/2001 +0100, johan.nilsson at esrange.ssc.se wrote:
>The code line 'app1/main/...' will be branched to 'app1/relX/...' for
>maintenace only (where X is the version) upon release and the view mapping
>for //client/app1/prod/... will need to be changed in applicable client
>specifications. That's why I'd like to share a client spec (for each
>application) between different users, inorder to avoid maintenance
>headaches. Of course, maintaining a proper release procedure should lessen
>the chances of getting into trouble.

"p4 client -t TEMPLATE_CLIENT" might be what you need. You can use it
to create a new client using TEMPLATE_CLIENT as the model to start from,
and if you update the template, you can import the new 'View' section
(complete,
so it's not a merge into your other View lines for a client) using this "p4
client -t"
mechanism, also.

Check your release notes or "p4 help client" to see if your version of Perforce
supports this. Older versions might not.

I don't entirely agree with the folks who've said "never share client
workspaces
between users". It's possible, but best left for infrequent uses: the 1.0
release
that went out back in the Neolithic, that sits on
sys$shareddisk:[perforceareas.10release]
and that people map in as they work on the 1.0 patches. . . .

         -Jeff Bowles
         Piccolo Engineering, Inc.