[p4] keyword expansion in binary files (eg .doc, ppt)

Sally.Page at symbian.com Sally.Page at symbian.com
Thu Dec 6 02:13:58 PST 2001

Hi

I was just speaking to Robert Cowham yesterday, about his P4Word program which we have a few people using, with success.

Users of it have enquired from me if they can use keyword expansion within
the type of binary files such as .doc, and other types eg .ppt etc. We are
trying to encourage the use of Perforce to manage documents aswell and
without this facility, the general users of documents give the impression
that there is not much benefit for them using Perforce without this
facility (although I am able to convince them that it is a good idea
really), some have mentioned that PVCS does it, so why doesn't
Perforce....

The other thing is that Perforce will let you select a binary file to
type+k and will then not be able to read it again!

So my query to you all is, has anyone been able to get over this problem,
or has a different solution or suggestion?

Thanks

Sally Page
Configuration Management Engineer
Symbian (UK) Ltd
Direct: 020 7563 2912
Mobile: 07769 588915

Symbian Ltd is a company registered in England and Wales with registered number 01796587 and registered office at 19 Harcourt Street, London, W1H 4HF, UK.
This message is intended only for use by the named addressee and may contain privileged and/or confidential information. If you are not the named addressee you should not disseminate, copy or take any action in reliance on it. If you have received this message in error please notify postmaster at symbian.com and delete the message and any attachments accompanying it immediately. Symbian does not accept liability for any corruption, interception, amendment, tampering or viruses occuring to this message in transit or for any message sent by its employees which is not in compliance with Symbian corporate policy.