[p4] keyword expansion in binary files (eg .doc, ppt)

Stephen Vance steve at vance.com
Thu Dec 6 17:28:58 PST 2001

I've always urged people to use HTML or XML as a document format.  They're
compact and diff-able.  However, that doesn't fly in most contemporary
business environments, so it's more of a pipe dream.  RTF is text-based,
but no one remembers to save that way.  Document type converters can be
reasonable, but they also have the issue of being difficult to automate
with Perforce.

In summary:  yes, I've thought about the issue, and no, I've not come up
with a good answer.