[p4] This mailing list

Steve Bennett bennett at jmisoftware.com
Mon Dec 10 09:21:35 PST 2001

I'm not quite sure why Reply-To munging takes away freedom.  It just
reverses the situation, meaning you have to Reply-To-All to get to the
individual user instead of the list.

For my own part, I'm quite annoyed with having to Reply-To-All to get to the
list, when 99% of the times I reply to a message from a mailing list, I want
the reply to go to the mailing list ONLY.  I think the majority of replies
to a mailing list fall into this category.

Using Reply-To-All for this causes all kinds of havoc -- if a person doesn't
take the time to delete excess addresses (which many people don't...), then
it ends up propagating all over the place.  For a classic example, when I
replied to this message, I had to delete *three* non-mailing list addresses
and had to move the mailing list address from the CC field to the To field.
If I didn't do that, then anyone responding to me would have to remove
*four* addresses.  It's a real mess.

Since I'm strongly of the opinion that any user interface should make the
most common behavior the easiest to use, and IMHO, the most common thing in
a mailing list is people responding to the list, and NOT to an individual, I
think we'd be better off if this list were set up somehow so that Reply went
to the list.  If that means changing Reply-To, then so be it.

-->Steve Bennett