[p4] This mailing list

Simon Morton Simon.Morton at MetraTech.com
Mon Dec 10 12:51:00 PST 2001

One thing you are overlooking is that some people have valid reasons
for using a Reply-To: header in their outgoing email (for example, I do
on my personal email account).  Lists that munge Reply-To: headers run
roughshod over the wishes of such users and often over their ability to
see any replies to their postings.

I find the noise generated on Reply-To:-munging lists by people
unintentionally posting private messages on the list far more
objectionable than receiving the odd duplicate message, which
moreover only occurs on a thread that I have participated in.
The non-munging behavior is perfect for lurkers, who probably make
up the majority of the recipients of most mailing lists anyway.

And if you want to talk user interface design, the hallmark of a
good user interface is consistency.  The semantics of a mailing
program should remain the same regardless of whether it is dealing
with ordinary mail or mailing list traffic.  "Reply" is universally
understood as replying to the single author of the message.  "Reply
to All" means reply to all the recipients of the message.  Clear
and unambiguous.

Simon