[p4] This mailing list

Mike Castle mcastle at yy.com
Mon Dec 10 12:50:28 PST 2001

On Mon, Dec 10, 2001 at 12:21:35PM -0500, Steve Bennett wrote:
> For my own part, I'm quite annoyed with having to Reply-To-All to get to the
> list, when 99% of the times I reply to a message from a mailing list, I want
> the reply to go to the mailing list ONLY.  I think the majority of replies
> to a mailing list fall into this category.

Get a better email client then.

I started using email lists on an IBM mainframe on BITNET.

One thing I loved about the mail client we used (from RICE University, if I
remember correctly) was the ability to choose which type of reply to.  You
could do a reply-sender, a reply-from (default), even a reply-to (which
would reply to the addressed in the To: field).

These days I use mutt, which allows me to do a reply-list which replies
only to the list addresses.

Sure, I could do a group-reply (reply-all), but I don't.  I use a nice
feature of the client to simply reply to the list.  A single keystroke (ok,
2 if you count hitting the shift key).

Only one list I'm on rewrites the From: line (lynx-dev), and I find it
extremely annoying.

I hope this lists stays the way it is.

mrc