[p4] Question on Jobs and changelists

Eric Dew edew at resilience.com
Wed Dec 12 11:28:22 PST 2001

Well, if there is a one-to-one correspondence between changelists and
jobs, then
the jobs field (or the changelist field) is redundant.  The jobs <->
changelist correspondence
should be a many-to-many.  One job may include  many changelists, and
one changelist
may solve many jobs.

I'm still wrestling with how to best utilize the jobs field.  Partly, it
would require the P4DTI
and perhaps a bug tracking system which have hooks written for it in the
P4DTI.

It should not be the case that once a changelist is submitted a job is
closed.  In fact, even
in the many-to-many case, a job is not closed until the QA people have
blessed that
the changes did what was intended to do.

EDEW