[p4] Mainline vs. Promotion (Cascade) Branching model

brad.holt at autodesk.com brad.holt at autodesk.com
Tue Dec 18 17:37:14 PST 2001

Hello All,

I know the common wisdom for Perforce states that the Mainline trunk model is the way to go.  In the literature I've read though, the reasons for not using the cascade model (policy codeline changes, and work relocation - "Perforce High Level Best Practices for SCM" document) don't really bother us, as we're already puttin up with that anyway.  When the time comes for us to release, create our QA/Service pack branch, and merge our next version's already existing development branch back into the main, it is always a bit of a chore.  The temptation to just consider the new release's development branch to be the new main trunk is pretty strong.

Please tell me why I shouldn't do this.  I'd bet there are reasons to do with future merging/common ancestors problems etc.

School me.

-Brad