[p4] Help

Stephen Vance steve at vance.com
Mon Dec 31 10:16:22 PST 2001

You told Perforce that the file had been deleted.  It doesn't assume that
there is any relationship between the old file and the new file just
because you gave it the same name (and contents).  Therefore, your merge is
between two files with no historical relationship in Perforce's eyes.

The message you are getting indicates that you are probably using
P4Win.  If you go to the Options... button, you will find a checkbox
entitled "Enable Baseless Merges".  Check that box and it will let you go
ahead.  You likely want to do an "Accept Theirs" when you resolve unless
you had some custom edits when you originally branched.