[p4] Upcoming Features?

Karl Elvis MacRae kmac at apple.com
Tue Oct 2 17:38:14 PDT 2001

On Mon, Oct 01, 2001 at 03:19:56PM -0400, Todd Short spake thus:
> Any news on what upcoming features might be?
>
> Personally, I'm interested in having changespecs that can be modified a la
> jobspec.
> Right now, we have to use triggers to enforce a particular format, and
> unfortunately, we have fields that need to have a certain set of values, due
> to our ClearDDTS integration.

	Hey. I know why he wants that. I used to be Cisco's ClearDDTs
	guru. They have not replaced that damned thing yet? =B^)

	Anyway, the feature I'd like to see is for things like Client
	specs, depots specs, p4 protect, etc. to be under some sort of
	revision control. On at least a weekly basis, we need to
	figue out who changed sometihing or when a client was created, and
	WE've had to put some pretty silly wrapping around p4, just to get
	that. If we could just look at a change history, this would be
	cake.

	It's always struck me as insane that p4, which is, after all,
	a revision control system, has no internal revision control on
	it's own configurations.

	-Karl

Karl Elvis MacRae    VLSI CAD    Apple Computer    kmac at apple.com