[p4] Who deleted a client

Russell C. Jackson rcjackson at alum.atu.edu
Wed Oct 3 09:18:49 PDT 2001

The way we handle this situation is to do the following:

1. Create the clientspec
2. Run p4 client -o > clientname.txt
3. Check in clientname.txt into the source area for the product it belongs
to.
4. Modify the build script to first sync out clientname.txt
5. Then the build script runs p4 client -i < clientname.txt
6. Then it does a full sync against that client to setup for the build.

Now anytime anyone wants to modify the client, they just checkout
clientname.txt, modify it, and check it back in. That gives us a revision
history on the file, a trail of who modified it, and the ability to easily
recover it if someone deletes it.

It works great.

Rusty

Russell C. Jackson