[p4] Who deleted a client

Stephen Vance steve at vance.com
Wed Oct 3 15:46:31 PDT 2001

At 05:31 PM 10/3/2001 -0500, Gregg G. Wonderly wrote:

> >We're trying here at ATG to artificially create some of this, and we're
> >finding the interfaces available to be somewhat more awkward than perhaps
> >they ideally could be.
>
>A critical client spec should be kept in perforce via 'p4 client -o' and 'p4
>client -i' so that a simple client is defined thta lets you get these clients
>out of perforce.  Then, on a regular basis, a cron job should audit the
>client
>for changes and update perforce if needed.  Then, you'd have the history.

Actually, with 'p4 print' you don't even need the simple client to get the
complex ones.

I agree with Gregg, though.  I tend to maintain simple clients.  If there
are complex contributors to a project, I represent it in the branch spec
and branch into a depot tree that supports a simple client spec.  I then
change the owner of the branch spec to the administrative user and lock
it.  I do the same for important labels.  Add in passwords at least for the
administrative user, and you have a reasonably bullet-proof system that
requires a lot of deliberation to circumvent.

The "change owner and lock" idiom could also work for the original poster
to protect themselves.

Stephen Vance
mailto:steve at vance.com
http://www.vance.com/