[p4] Who deleted a client

Jeff A. Bowles jab at piccoloeng.com
Thu Oct 4 08:00:31 PDT 2001

At 09:04 AM 10/4/2001 -0500, you wrote:
>if you have client specs that are complex and change often, then the
>recreate approach can pick up those changes. Not that you couldn't update
>your fixed client before each build too...

Oh, certainly. But the question remains in my mind,
what sorts of procedures would require constantly
changing the client specs and thereby changing the
contents of the workspace?

I mean, if you're gonna work on release1 and release2,
shifting back and forth, I'd either map them both in
or have two client workspaces (on different areas on
disk) corresponding to them. Of course, for the latter
case, I'd read up on the environment variable P4CONFIG.

I've heard some people say "but my build system insists
that the source is on c:\hardcodedpath!"  - which points
to an approach that, to me, feels foreign. (I try to make
$SRCHEAD, or something like that, point to the top of
a tree that's being built; if I have to run sed/perl/python
against a MSDev-generated makefile to defeat its
hardcoded idea of where a tree should live, I will.)

I'm not saying that a procedure that updates the client
spec as part of development or part of an overnight
build is always dumb. I do believe, however, that such
a procedure invites further questions and inspection.

         -Jeff Bowles
         Perforce Consulting Partner