[p4] Who deleted a client

Dave Lewis dlewis at vignette.com
Thu Oct 4 14:43:02 PDT 2001

  > From: Stephen Vance <steve at vance.com>
  >
  > At 08:00 AM 10/4/2001 -0700, Jeff A. Bowles wrote:
  > >At 09:04 AM 10/4/2001 -0500, you wrote:
  > >>if you have client specs that are complex and change often, then the
  > >>recreate approach can pick up those changes. Not that you couldn't update
  > >>your fixed client before each build too...
  > >
  > >Oh, certainly. But the question remains in my mind,
  > >what sorts of procedures would require constantly
  > >changing the client specs and thereby changing the
  > >contents of the workspace?

Generally speaking, there are 3rdparty libs that are versioned.
There are new releases on a monthly or less basis.
We also want to be able to use older releases at the same time

so it looks like this:
//depot/thirdparty/product/1.2.3/lib/... //buildclient/thirdparty/lib/...

later it may be changed to something like:
//depot/thirdparty/product/1.2.5/lib/... //buildclient/thirdparty/lib/...

althgough some other builds may still be using the 1.2.3 versions.

people are loath to include all the versions in the build space, for
space reasons.

I suppose we could just checkin new versions on top of each other, but
then builds would require a pre-sync to specific versions.

thoughts?

dave